7. Application for gratuity:-
(1) An employee who is eligible for payment of gratuity under the Act, or any person authorised in writing, to act on his behalf, shall apply, ordinarily within thirty days from the date the gratuity became payable, in Form ‘I’ to the employer:
Provided that where the date of superannuation or retirement of an employee is known, the employee may apply, to the employer before thirty days of the date of superannuation or retirement.
(2) A nominee of an employee who is eligible for payment of gratuity under the second proviso to sub-section (1) of section 4 shall apply, ordinarily, within thirty days from the date of gratuity become payable to him, in Form ‘J’ to the employer.
Provided that an application in plain paper with relevant particulars shall also be accepted. The employer may obtain such other particulars as may be deemed necessary by him.
(3) A legal heir of an employee who is eligible for payment of gratuity under the second proviso to sub-section (1) of section 4 shall apply, ordinarily within one year from the date of gratuity became payable to him, in Form ‘K’ to the employer.
(4) Where gratuity becomes payable under the Act before the commencement of these rules, the periods of limitation specified in sub-rules (1), (2) and (3) shall be deemed to be operative from the date of such commencement.
(5) An application for payment of gratuity filed after the expiry of the periods specified in this rule shall also be entertained by the employer, if the applicant adduces sufficient cause for the delay in preferring his claim, and no claim for gratuity under the Act shall be invalid merely because the claimant failed to present his application within the specified period. Any dispute in this regard shall be referred to the controlling authority for his decision.
(6) An application under this rule shall be presented to the employer either by personal service or by registered post acknowledgement due.