8. Notice for payment of gratuity:-
(1) Within fifteen days of the receipt of an application under rule 7 for payment of gratuity, the employer shall,-
(i) if the claim is found admissible on verification, issue a notice in Form ‘L’ to the applicant employee, nominee or legal heir, as the case may be, specifying the amount of gratuity payable and fixing a date, not being later than the thirtieth day after the date of receipt of the application, for payment thereof, or
(ii) if the claim for gratuity is not found admissible, issue a notice in Form ‘M’ to the applicant employee, nominee or legal heir, as the case may be, specifying the reasons why the claim for gratuity is not considered admissible. In either case a copy of the notice shall be endorsed to the controlling authority.
(2) In case payment of gratuity is due to be made in the employer’s office, the date fixed for the purpose in the notice in Form ‘L’ under clause (i) of sub-rule (1) shall be re-fixed by the employer, if a written application in this behalf is made by the payee explaining why it is not possible for him to be present in person on the date specified.
(3) If the claimant for gratuity is a nominee or a legal heir, the employer may ask for such witness or evidence as may be deemed relevant for establishing his identity or maintainability of his claim, as the case may be. In that case, the time limit specified for issuance of notices under sub-rule (1) shall be operative with effect from the date such witness or evidence, as the case may be, called for by the employer is furnished to the employer.
(4) A notice in Form ‘L’ or Form ‘M’ shall be served on the applicant either by personal service after taking receipt or by registered post with acknowledgement due.
(5) A notice under sub-section (2) of section 7 shall be in Form ‘L’.