|20. Returns and Self-assessment M VAT ACT|
RETURNS AND ASSESSMENT, ETC.
20. Returns and Self-assessment
(1)(a) Every registered dealer shall file correct ,complete, self-consistent return in such form, by such date, for such period and to such authority as may be prescribed. Different types of returns may be prescribed for different classes of dealers.
(b) The Commissioner may examine the return to ascertain whether it is complete and self-consistent. If the return is not complete or self-consistent, the Commissioner may serve on the dealer, within four months of date of filing of the return, a defect notice in the prescribed form. The said registered dealer shall correct the defects and submit to the prescribed authority a fresh, complete and self-consistent return within one month of the service of the defect notice:
Provided that the registered dealer who fails to submit a complete or self consistent fresh return within the said period of one month shall be deemed not to have submitted the return within the prescribed time as required under clause (a)
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the Commissioner may, subject to such terms and conditions, as may be prescribed, permit any dealer, --
(a) to furnish returns for such different period, or
(b) to furnish a consolidated return relating to all or any of the places of business of the dealer in the State for such period or periods, to such authority, as he may direct.
(For the above subsection (2) the following sub-section (2) is substituted by the Maharashtra Act No. XXXII of 2006 Dt. 05.08.2006)
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the Commissioner may, subject to such terms and conditions, as may be prescribed, permit any dealer to file separate return,—
(a) for all or any of the places of business of the dealer, whether or not situated within the jurisdiction of the same registering authority, or
(b) for different constituents of his business to such authority as he may direct.” ;
(3) Every person or an unregistered dealer who is required to file a return under any other provision of this Act, shall file such return for such period, in such form, by such date and to such authority as may be prescribed and the provisions contained in paragraph (b) of sub-section (1) shall apply to such return as they apply to the return prescribed under paragraph (a) of sub-section (1).
(4) Any person or dealer who, having furnished a return under sub-section (1), (2) or (3) discovers any omission or incorrect statement therein, may furnish a revised return in respect of the period covered by the return at any time before a notice for assessment is served on him in respect of the period covered by the return or before the expiry of a period of nine months from the end of the year containing the period to which the return relates, whichever is earlier''.
(In the above subsection (4) for the words “ expiry of a period of eight months ” the words “ expiry of a period of nine months ” is substituted by the Maharashtra Act No. XXV of 2007 Dt. 06.08.2007)
(5) Where a dealer is required to file a fresh return or, as the case may be, a revised return, he shall file such fresh or revised return with the authority prescribed and if any amount of tax is required to be paid in accordance with such fresh or revised return, then he shall pay such amount in the Government Treasury and attach a self attested true copy of the receipted challan with the fresh or revised return.”.
(The above subsection (5) is inserted by the Maharashtra Act No. XXXII of 2006 Dt. 05.08.2006)